Monday, March 9, 2009

Mother Warriors

So Charlotte is coming up on her second birthday (WOW), and I am already gearing up for the fight at the doctor's office. Yeah, thats right... I feel like going into battle everytime we go because I do not like Charlotte getting the vaccines. When Charlotte was born early- I just had a bad feeling about her getting vaccinated. For crying out loud she was only 4 1/2 pounds and they wanted to give her vaccines??? Then at 2 months (or whenever it was) they insist on like 6 vaccines!!! I opted out of a few but not without a fight and a "you're- are- a- bad- mother- guilt- trip". They told me that the newer vaccines are perfectly fine and kids don't get sick from them. They said it was "very rare" to have any reaction. I tried to explain that I have autoimmune issues so I would like to protect my daughter if she has any of my immune difficiancies. I asked if they could at least be broken up- a few weeks a part ... and the answer to that question was that it would be too inconvenient for them and us. HMMMMMMM..... So she got a handful of vacs and guess what happened??? Yep, she got really really sick. Do you know what the doctor and nurse told me??? "She must have been coming down with the flu that day". So ... a few months later she got more shots... and guess what??? YEP, she got really really sick. Do you know what the doctor and nurse told me this time??? "Well it happens- some kids get sick from the vaccines". Wait just one minute.... didn't you tell me before that it was extremely rare??? Ok, so enough with my rant and rave- you all get my point. Charlotte does NOT do well with the vaccines. I have always known it and yet my pediatrician makes me feel like a bad mom by opting out of any vaccines. So, recently I borrowed this book by Jenny McCarthy, and it is fabulous!!! I don't feel so bad about opting out of vaccines for Charlotte. Of course her son was diagnosed with Autism. I am blessed to have a beautifully healthy little girl- and I want to keep it that way! I highly reccomend this read for any and all moms! Power to the moms!

2 comments:

Dziadzia said...

It sure would be nice if parents could take those shots for their little ones. To this day I feel that darn pinch when I watch them get those shots. Can't wait to see how the house is coming. One day Erin and I will have to stop by. That Matt sure is a "working man".

Sara Moriarty said...

Matthew never had a problem with shots so I never worried. But Talya, she gets sick and irritable and not herself every time. In the past I had brushed it off as disrupted sleep schedule, teething, etc. but at her 12 month shots there was no disguising it. The FOUR shots and one blood draw they did that day did not sit well with her.

I have been asking around trying to get feedback and resources to make a more educated decision in the future. Please let me know if you find any other good books on the subject and I will do the same. Cuz us mom's have to stick together! :)

Love you all.